Design. Disrupt. Repeat.
Be an agent of change on a team committed to achieving client-focused, mission-driven excellence. Steampunk is the explosive collision of human-centered design and traditional government contracting. We are an employee-owned company with a startup mindset and time-tested approaches tailored for the federal government. We’re passionate about creating solutions that are impactful, practical, and scalable while meeting our clients’ ever-changing needs. We believe in empowering our people to find creative solutions to intractable problems. We believe the best environment in which to grow and thrive is outside our comfort zone. We believe that while good design makes for a good product, human-centered design makes for an excellent one. Steampunk is looking for an experienced engineer with an appetite for taking on new challenges.
Who We Are
Steampunk is the explosive collision of human-centered design and traditional government contracting.
An employee-owned company with a startup mindset and time-tested approaches tailored for the federal government, we’re passionate about creating solutions that are impactful, practical, scalable, and most importantly, that meet our clients’ ever-changing needs.
At Steampunk, we believe in disrupting the status quo and setting the pace in the ecosystem of government contractors, while repurposing tried-and-true methodologies. We believe in empowering our people to find creative solutions to intractable problems. We believe the best environment in which to grow and thrive is outside our comfort zone.
While good design makes for a good product, we believe human-centered design makes for an excellent one.
We also believe effective teams are powered by diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences. To that end, Steampunk is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, disability status, and protected veteran status, amongst our ranks. Additionally, we participate in the E-Verify program.
Our people are the very core of what we do; their expertise and hunger for new and exciting challenges fuel our relentless pursuit of mission success. As part of our team of “Punks,” you’ll test the status quo, explore new boundaries, and set the bar high for how government clients expect to engage with contractors.
Because we value our employees’ work/life balance (and believe those who work hard deserve to play hard), we offer a very competitive benefits package, including telework/flex scheduling, health/dental with orthodontics/vision insurance upon hire, paid time off with a sell-back benefit and carryover option, 11 Federal Holidays, 100% paid military leave, 100% 401(k) plan match upon hire, professional development/education reimbursement, all flexible spending accounts, and more
As a Technical Lead, you will work on a disruptive and high-powered program whose charter is to modernize the entire technical landscape through innovation and the introduction and adoption of consistent and efficient processes. As a part of the program management team, the technical lead will be responsible for setting the overall direction and providing strategic guidance to the various delivery teams. The technical lead will be conversant in all technical areas of the program and will ensure those efforts are well integrated and support the overall c goals of the program. The technical lead is not expected to be an expert in all things; instead, delegation and a relationship of trust with the domain leads will be key to our success. The technical lead will possess the ability to communicate at all levels, including government leads, key stakeholders, and executive sponsors.
• Provide technical guidance and overall strategic direction to the program
• Have broad understanding with the following areas: software development (both green field and refactoring), enterprise operations, DevSecOps, cloud environments, security compliance, and human centered design. Have deep knowledge and experience in at least one of these areas (preferably more).
• Work as one of the key integration points between the program, functional, and technical areas of the program. The technical lead should understand and communicate how everything fits together upstream and downstream.
• Will have incredible communication skills (oral and written) that can be tailored to different audiences with varying degrees of technical understanding.
• Work closely with all domain technical leads to ensure innovation and consistency are at the forefront of all efforts and to foster collaboration to help identify cross cutting solutions that will benefit multiple work streams.
• As a part of the program management team, ensure all technical work is being tracked and accounted for and that all efforts can be directly tied to one or more of the overall program goals.
• Well be well versed in various Agile methodologies and how to apply them to different types of technical teams (not just development teams)
• Advocate for and ensure security is accounted for up front and is an integrated part of the app development lifecycle, and is not attempted to be “bolted on” at the end.
• Deliver tasks based on project objectives; technically support projects through to completion.
• Ensure deliverables are completed within target timeframes and are consistently of high-quality, documented and support transition of operational activities.
• Engineer and implement solutions and provide recommendations for continuous improvement for the services provided
• Be active in evaluating and recommending new technologies across all areas of the program.
• Ability to obtain a U.S. government Security Clearance
• BS in an IT field & AT LEAST 7 years of experience leading diverse technical teams
• Minimum of 7 years of technical leadership experience in an Agile environment.
• Hands on experience with more or more areas in a typical enterprise application environment, with strong preference for DevSecOps, multiple cloud environments, and software development.
• Working knowledge of all aspects of DevSecOps including but not limited to CI/CD pipelines, infrastructure as code, and automation of everything.
• Strong knowledge of testing, code coverage, and security frameworks
• Hands on or adjacent experience with containers and kubernetes based orchestration platforms, from both an application development perspective as well as an infrastructure perspective
• Ability to work collaboratively with on program and off program technical teams to achieve stated objectives
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative skills, and the ability to communicate strategic information security topics, policies and standards as well as risk-related concepts to technical and nontechnical audiences at various hierarchical levels
Steampunk is a Change Agent in the Federal contracting industry, bringing new thinking to clients in the Homeland, Federal Civilian, Health and DoD sectors. Through our Human-Centered delivery methodology, we are fundamentally changing the expectations our Federal clients have for true shared accountability in solving their toughest mission challenges. As an employee owned company, we focus on investing in our employees to enable them to do the greatest work of their careers – and rewarding them for outstanding contributions to our growth. If you want to learn more about our story, visit http://www.steampunk.com.