Design. Disrupt. Repeat.
Be an agent of change on a team committed to achieving client-focused, mission-driven excellence. Steampunk is looking for an experienced Program Manager with an appetite for taking on new challenges. You're going to be challenged each day with new and complex mission and delivery opportunities as you serve as the agile coach for a major mission system.
Who We Are
Steampunk is the explosive collision of human-centered design and traditional government contracting. An employee-owned company with a startup mindset and time-tested approaches tailored for the federal government, we’re passionate about creating solutions that are impactful, practical, scalable, and most importantly, that meet our clients’ ever-changing needs.
At Steampunk, we believe in disrupting the status quo and setting the pace in the ecosystem of government contractors, while repurposing tried-and-true methodologies. We believe in empowering our people to find creative solutions to intractable problems. We believe the best environment in which to grow and thrive is outside our comfort zone.
While good design makes for a good product, we believe human-centered design makes for an excellent one. We also believe effective teams are powered by diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences. To that end, Steampunk is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, disability status, and protected veteran status, amongst our ranks. Additionally, we participate in the E-Verify program.
Our people are the very core of what we do; their expertise and hunger for new and exciting challenges fuel our relentless pursuit of mission success. As part of our team of “Punks,” you’ll test the status quo, explore new boundaries, and set the bar high for how government clients expect to engage with contractors.
Because we value our employees’ work/life balance (and believe those who work hard deserve to play hard), we offer a very competitive benefits package, including telework/flex scheduling, health/dental with orthodontics/vision insurance upon hire, paid time off with a sell-back benefit and carryover option, 11 Federal Holidays, 100% paid military leave, 100% 401(k) plan match upon hire, professional development/education reimbursement, all flexible spending accounts, and more
Specific responsibilities for the lead includes:
• Ensures team(s) maintains focus on quality and continuous delivery
• Provides visibility into delivery targets, commitments, and progress
• Be well managed – understand and coach the team on delivery controls, compliance to minimize operational, and reputational risk
• Understands domain architecture and targets to identify upstream and downstream dependencies and to support the team in risk management
• Proactively identifies impediments and appropriately resolves using network of peers and formal channels (including escalation if required)
• Integrates Agile and Lean principles into team practices and work products
• Coaches Product Owner and team on backlog refinement and prioritization
• Coaches the team to improve collaboration and self-organization
• Utilizes team feedback and metrics (quality, delivery rate, etc.) to identify areas of opportunity and works with team to continuously improve
• Assess the current organization and delivery environment and recommend optimal Agile practices tailored to the client
• We need more than just a coach, we need someone who will also roll up their sleeves and delivery too.
• Innovates with practices and frameworks through experimentation to improve the team and their delivery
• Developing understanding and encouragement of team’s engineering innovation and improvement (XP engineering practices, Dev Ops, etc.)
• Agile and Technical Learning: Actively seeks and participates in a variety of learning opportunities such as Communities of Practice, conferences, classroom training, and independent study to further develop self and community
• Prepare and deliver effective communications both verbally and orally regarding progress and status for both internal and client teams
• Perform hands-on project work, including analysis, design and change management, as needed by the project
• Authorized to work for any U.S. employer
• 10+ years managing IT projects using waterfall and agile methodolgies and Approaches
• 5+ year experience with Scrum/Kanban Methodologies
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, MIS or equivalent combination of education and experience
• CSM certification or equivalent required
• Scrum Alliance Certified Enterprise Coach (CEC) and/or Certifiead Agile Coach (CAC) Certification
• Scaled Agile Framework Certification and Practical Experience
• Ability to establish immediate credibility with clients, build consensus, and achieve goals through influence
• Ability to help teams write user stories/epics, identify dependencies, and design optimal solutions
• Flexibility to work with teams, individuals and executives and willingness to help with a wide variety of work products and people
• Excellent interpersonal/communication skills
• Experience working in a studio / human centered design approach
Steampunk is a Change Agent in the Federal contracting industry, bringing new thinking to clients in the Homeland, Federal Civilian, Health and DoD sectors. Through our Human-Centered delivery methodology, we are fundamentally changing the expectations our Federal clients have for true shared accountability in solving their toughest mission challenges. As an employee owned company, we focus on investing in our employees to enable them to do the greatest work of their careers – and rewarding them for outstanding contributions to our growth. If you want to learn more about our story, visit http://www.steampunk.com.